The ballots for the March primary election have been mailed. We hope you believe, as we do, that Mike Zinkin is unequivocally the best choice for Mayor of Oro Valley. We are asking all our Oro Valley friends and neighbors to please vote for Mike Zinkin as Oro Valley’s next Mayor.
First off, Paul Loomis, Mayor for ten years, is clearly not the person to lead Oro Valley for the next four years. Here's twenty reasons why:
1) If you are offended that Mayor Loomis was responsible for the termination of our Town Manager David Andrews after almost 18 years of dedicated service to the community.
2) If you are offended that a crematorium was built in Rancho Vistoso in close proximity to many residents.
3) If you are offended that Vestar was promised $23,200,000 of our sales tax revenue over ten years for bringing us a Walmart.
4) If you are offended that we spent almost $700,000 in defeating a $48.6 million dollar park, which Loomis wanted to make $150 million.
5) If you are offended that we were forced to pay a tax on our necessities of life—gas, water & electric bills.
6) If you are offended that the above tax was due to expire in April 2009, only to be continued indefinitely with Loomis' backing..
7) If you are offended that we just got another rate hike on our water bills, although the Water Director indicated he had a balanced budget.
8) If you are offended that Loomis consistently voted to give tens of thousands of our dollars to TREO, while he served on its Board of Directors.
9) If you are offended that Loomis took an $11,000 trip to Germany & Switzerland at taxpayer’s expense, without ever giving a trip report.
10) If you are offended that Loomis went against the recommendation of the
Town Manager & Finance Director and voted to allow our contingency fund to be "raided" to placate the police union.
11) If you are offended that the El Conquistador has been getting a 2% “kickback” on our bed tax revenue for ten years in an amount of approximately $3 million, for no good reason.
12) If you are offended by the “monster” wall of the east side of Oracle road, a Scenic Corridor approaching the Catalina State Park.
13) If you are offended that Loomis recently suggested a Property Tax could well be in our future.
14) If you are offended that we are operating with a deficit budget because our expenditures are out of control with no consideration of differentiating "wants" from "needs.".
15) If you are offended that a 60 foot hotel was permitted at Innovation Park when the code said “no hotel, and no structure over 36 feet.”
16) If you are offended that a 75 foot hotel was permitted on the east side of Oracle road fronting Pusch Peak.
17) If you are offended that almost half of our residents were forced to give up fire service by Rural Metro, only to get escalated rates by GRFD with no improvement in service.
18) If you are offended that during Loomis' tenure we have seen the price of government grow from $1,700 per resident to $4,600 per resident.
19) If you are offended that Loomis voted “no” on the implementation of an Economic Development Commission intended make recommendations to the council on economic development issues, such as business attraction and retention, and provide the council with an annual action plan.
20) If you are offended that we are the only Pima County Library that is not part of the county library system, resulting in double taxation.
Too many times Mayor Loomis gave in to the wishes of the developers and special interest groups at the expense of the citizens. Unlike the incumbent or the other candidate, Mike Zinkin is not, and will not be beholden to any special interest group.
Our concerns about Satish Hiremath, the third candidate, are the result of his special interests endorsements (SAHBA, NPCCC). In addition, he is totally inexperienced in Oro Valley's Government and its operations.
Mike is the only Mayoral candidate who can deal with all the challenges we face because he is the only candidate who is completely independent of special interests AND, at the same time, has experience with Oro Valley Town Government. Neither of his opponents can make this statement.
We Need Mike Zinkin As Mayor.
Please VOTE FOR MIKE!