Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Former Oro Valley Planning and Zoning Chair Speaks in Opposition to the OVCN Rezoning

Below is an excerpt from a speech given by Don Cox during the February 7th Public Hearing on the Oro Valley Church of the Nazarene (OVCN) rezoning. It’s not often that LOVE and Don Cox agree on town issues, but this time we are in complete agreement.


---
“I spent a little over 9 years on the Planning and Zoning Commission of Oro Valley so I have a unique view of what is facing the commission tonight…

It is my opinion that the zoning change should be denied…There are multiple facts, I believe, supporting my opinion. I am not opposed to a sports ministry. I love to see kids participating in sports. I’m 78 year’s old and I still participate in senior softball…

I’m strongly opposed to the location and the inability to mitigate the negative impact on the neighborhood. The activities of the church currently invade the privacy of the surrounding residents. The current parking issues created by the overflow parking close to the church invades the privacy of those who are surrounding the church. When the church holds outdoor activities now, the decibel level leaving the church grounds invades the privacy of the surrounding neighborhood, and I suspect that if measured, it would violate the Town’s zoning codes.

The addition of competitive sports on a playing field that is mere yards from a neighbor’s backyard not only will invade their outdoor space but it will invade the interior of their home. There are current residents who can hear the aforementioned activities inside their homes now.

The church argues that they can’t utilize the current available town parks space for their activities. They state that the availability just isn’t there. I can’t argue with that…but the solution to that is not to punish the neighborhoods surrounding the church.

I thought a church would frown upon robbing St. Peter to pay St. Paul, but that’s exactly what this plan is all about. This project, while well-intended, is simply not compatible with the surrounding area. The traffic and parking issues have not been addressed, the current noise violations will be multiplied, as will lighting issues. I have yet to see a condition that stops light intrusion or sound penetration successfully.

So, when it comes time to vote, I ask that this commission vote denial. Thank you for your service to this community.”

---

The Planning and Zoning Commission voted to recommend denial of the rezoning.  It was then forwarded to the Town Council to be heard on March 1st, but that hearing has since been postponed.  A new date for the hearing has not been set.