Saturday, February 12, 2011

Too Bad. Risky Business Leaves Oro Valley

Well, another Oro Valley business has closed. This time it's Risky Business, the restaurant at the nw corner of Oracle road & Pusch View Lane.

Here's the sad details from their press release.

Tucson, Ariz——Robert Raynor, the owner of Risky Business restaurants, announced today that after eleven years in business he has closed the Oro Valley location. “The decision to close this restaurant was a difficult one as I understand the impact this has on our employees and our many loyal Oro Valley customers. I deeply appreciate the hard work, passion, and enthusiasm of our employees at this location. We are working hard to find opportunities for these employees at our other three Risky Business restaurants. This closing allows us to focus our energy and efforts on the performance of our remaining three locations. We strongly believe in the potential of our ongoing business because of our high customer loyalty and neighborhood appeal. We will continue to pursue our ongoing remodeling and updating plan for our other locations which centers on ensuring that every guest experiences great food, great service and great value.”

“The closing is a direct result of a substantial decrease in sales at this location due to the opening of a wave of chain restaurants up and down Oracle Road over the past several years. As a member of Tucson Originals, comprised of locally owned and operated restaurants, it is sad to see the disappearance of over 75 great restaurants in Tucson in just the past 18 months.”

Any gift certificates or other coupon offers will, of course, be honored by any of the other locations.

For more information on Risky Business, visit the website at www.riskybusinesstucson.com .

7 comments:

Ann said...

“The closing is a direct result of a substantial decrease in sales at this location due to the opening of a wave of chain restaurants up and down Oracle Road over the past several years."

So sad. I hope that people now realize how bad it was to give subsidies to out-of-town chains.

Unknown said...

The service at Risky Business in Oro Valley has been horrible for over a year now. The sales there did not decrease because of additional competition. The sales decreased because the restaurant was not managed well, and the employees did not take care of their customers.

Victorian Cowgirl said...

I wonder how they KNOW that the decrease in sales was a DIRECT RESULT of the chain restaurants that opened nearby in recent years.

We went to Risky Business for dinner one night a few years ago. Both the food and the service were terrible. We never went back.

Perhaps their loss of sales was a combination of poor quality food, poor service, AND the addition of many new restaurants in the area.

Although, speaking for myself, there aren't ANY restaurants in Oro Valley that appeal to me. As such, we went to Acacia on Saturday night for our Valentine's Day dinner.

Anonymous said...

i do not want to be down to only chains and their middle of the road approach. I know that it is hard to survive so you cut cost ans hope that quality and service are sufficent to maintain customers. I find this to be a risky strategy ( no pun intended) and would hope that the smarter operator maintains quality-service until economy improves. Those that do will get my business those that do not won't. Recent example of those that don't was a recent experience at Amarsi-- 1 year ago I thought this place was first rate, dinner last week was disappointing in service and quality. When I explained problems to management, I was met with extreme level of indifference. How sad. Nobody has ever survived at their location and I am betting against them.

artmarth said...

Just a couple doors north of what is now a closed Risky Business, is Baskin Robbins Ice Cream store.

Sadly, they have a sign in their window that says something like--- "closed until the economy improves."

Not much to say, other than they seem to be caught between the proverbial "rock and a hard place."

I wonder, might part of the problem, other than the economy, be the old saying: "location, location, location?"

cyclone1 said...

I don't think that was the problem here. We have eaten at RB for the last few years and, initially, always enjoyed our food and the service was acceptable. The last, say, 18 months the food was not as good - quality and preparation, and the service was hit or miss. I don't know where I saw it, but I have to agree with a statement someone made that I am more than happy to frequent locally owned businesses if they provide a quality product. In this case, sadly, that was no longer what they were doing. As for VC's comment about restaurants in the OV - you must not be looking all that hard or you are a picky eater as there are plent of non chains that are good eats. El Charro, Flavor of India, Dragon Village and Saffron to name a few. I can see your point as far as "nice" restaurants like Acacia - but I have small kids so we don't do "nice" anyway!

Victorian Cowgirl said...

We all have our personal preferences for food. You mentioned El Charro, Flavor of India, Dragon Village and Saffron. Notice that none of these serve American or Italian food. Those are my preferences. That is what I enjoy. I do not like all the spicy foods from Mexico or India. Chinese food is OK on occasion, but I don't crave it.

Even at the types of restaurants that I do like, because we live in the Southwest, everyone feels a need to add Southwest spices to EVERYTHING! I am usually relegated to ordering my meal by process of elimination. Twenty items on the menu, only one is non-spicy. I guess I'll have that.

We went to Amarsi once. The service was awful and the chairs were very uncomfortable. I walked in feeling fine and I left with back pain that went on for two days. The restaurant had just opened recently which may have explained the poor service. Everyone seemed to be very disorganized. But in this case, the uncomfortable chairs were the reason that we never returned.

Trying to find a restaurant in Oro Valley with good food, good service, good air-conditioning, and comfortable chairs...well...needle in a haystack comes to mind!