Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Guest View: LOVE Contributor ~ Our little town is in trouble

Below are just four of the many reasons why our little town is in trouble.

(1) Our Group-Think Town Council is pushing rampant growth
I do not support the pro rampant growth mindset of the current council. I am concerned about political relationships that they have with developers, realtors, etc. I never dreamed that Oro Valley would have 4-5 story buildings.

I strongly feel that the council has evolved into a “group think” situation. This is not a healthy way to do business. It’s unproductive and stagnant. Where is the analysis and counterpoint? Our town needs individual thinkers who can bring fresh and innovative ideas; not people who echo each other. The latter is what I am seeing.

I’m educating myself as much as I can with Oro Valley websites, newspaper articles, and town hall meetings, etc. I’ve actually learned more than I wanted to know. Our little town is in trouble and it starts with the people running it.

(2) Town Council ignores what the majority of citizens want
The purchase of the golf courses followed by the Naranja Park Bond proposal made it transparent that the Town Council doesn’t have an interest in what the majority of citizens want. Post-bond-voting comments made by council members really concern me; words like “we’ll find a way.” The very fact that the bond issue seriously divided the people of Oro Valley to a point of very nasty behaviors was disturbing. There were hidden or subdued plans that surfaced. I was not proud to live in Oro Valley. That’s not the town I chose to move to.

It is also disconcerting to witness a council member “roll eyes” when a resident is speaking during a town hall meeting. That’s very unprofessional and disrespectful to all.

(3) Town Staff manipulates data
I’m also concerned with the Town’s manipulation of data and/or facts. At a recent “Main Street Forum” there was a press release stating that there was an overwhelming positive response to the proposal. Let’s see. According to the Town, approximately 350 people attended the Walk the Block event out of about 42,000 residents. That’s less than 1% of the population. Yet, the headlines said it was highly supported.

The council actually thinks that Oro Valley residents are supporting the Main Streets concept. Wrong. Our local government is deceiving the public with their pro-growth movement. Why? Because their developer campaign contributors are backing them and vice-versa.

I’m really tired of the manipulation of data from surveys and events. It’s wrong and that’s all there is to it.

(4) Oro Valley has become “Traffic Congestion Valley”
Lastly, I’m following the Main Streets Proposal very carefully. I can’t imagine why anyone would want more traffic and congestion at Oracle and First or at Lambert and La Canada. There are already plenty of vacant commercial spaces at Oro Valley Marketplace.

There’s not a small-town, down-home feel to excessive traffic and noise.

……………..

Editor’s Note: Mayor Hiremath and Councilmembers Hornat, Snider, and Waters are up for re-election this year. The primary election is in August. You have the power to change the pro-growth, tax hiking, blade-and–grade-the-desert groupthink that they have subjected us to for the past 8 years. You can vote them out in August.