Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Heather's Corner: LOVE to see A "First Annual Oro Valley Pumpkin Festival"

Though there was pumpkin festival last year, it was by no means the promoted, excited event suggested by the following.
---
I might be getting ahead of myself here but I would love the prospect of an Oro Valley Pumpkin Festival this fall.

My family and I attended the Steam Pump Second Saturday this month. We enjoyed listening to music whilst sticky-ing our fingers on a cinnamon bun that filled the four of us. We made way to the garden where my children played in the Hohokom "mud hut" and made snake dogs out of clay, when my son picked up a rake and began helping a woman tending to the garden, turn-over the compost pile. She spoke about the garden, the ground squirrels that still manage to feast on the corn despite fencing, and mentioned she was tossing around the idea, and whether it were possible, of planting a pumpkin patch there for this fall. My mind went wild.

One of my favorite things about town living are the events happening, whether annually or weekly, allowing people the opportunity to get together. I love our Christmas parade and the tree lighting ceremony at Oro Valley Marketplace.

The Farmers Market is really evolving into a fantastic get-together, but outside of these two events, and of course the biannual book sale at our library, there isn't much else to look forward to. And now back to the Pumpkin Patch, or as I remain hopeful: Oro Valley's First Annual Pumpkin Festival.

The land of the Steam Pump Ranch is prime for a Fall Festival. I see pumpkins, a petting zoo, pony rides, face painting, food vendors, crafts, music, potato sack races and bobbing for apples. Why couldn't we, like most towns, hold a festival?

Except Oro Valley is not like most towns. We pride ourselves on respecting our natural environment, the arts, and culture, so our festival could be that more special. Wouldn't those wonderful buildings on the property be exquisite to exhibit art for the festival. Or showcase a re-enactment of what life might have been on that very ranch at the time of its emergence. How about a glimpse into the day-to-day life of the Hohokam with demonstrations on how and what they cooked, goods they traded, or how they dressed? Is anyone else as excited as I am?

I am officially putting it out there and holding the space for this experience for us. I volunteer my time in any way possible to see this through to fruition. Who else do I need to convince and who's on board with me? Lets bring another community-strengthening event to Oro Valley. And here's to carmel apples this October!
---
Heather Nenadovich has lived in Oro Valley a total of five years. She has a B.A. in Psychology from the University of Arizona. Her husband is Canadian so she is a hockey fan by default and so are her two very clever children. When not being a mommy, she enjoys hiking in Catalina State Park, hand building pottery, and gardening. Her favorite things about living in Oro Valley are the towns recognition of art and culture, their commitment to preserving nature and the Christmas parade. (Also anything from GMG Chinese Bistro.)
---

2 comments:

Richard Furash, MBA said...

Gee, Heather, didn't you attend the Fall Festival/Pumpkin Patch extravaganza, at Steam Pump, last October? I did, and it would qualify as the "first, annual' in my book. However, your enthusiasm for Oro Valley is charming.

Richard Furash, MBA said...

Hi toughteri! No I did not and I'm sorry I missed it. I had no idea it existed. Thank you and I stand corrected. Let's bring on the 2nd Annual Pumpkin Extravaganza only bigger and maybe with a little more PR this time. ;)