Monday, March 26, 2012

Guest View-Mark Napier: A Town Divided Can Not Thrive

---
As I begin this Guest View, I would be remiss if I did not thank all of you for the warm reception you gave to my introductory post.  Thank you!  We are moving in the right direction.  The overall tone of the blog even seems to be more positive.

It is easy to find yourself sucked into the divide that separates our Town.  Initially, I know that I adopted that mentality.  There is no one to blame for that but me.  I was surprised to find Richard, Mike and Conny more than ready to lay aside preconceived notions about me and talk.  I was, however, able to talk to “both sides.”  What I came to find that both sides were equally sure they were more in the right than the other.  This is natural.  As is always the case in social conflict, I found that there was likely enough blame to go around.  This too is natural.  Assignment of blame, being right or prevailing over past differences should not be the focus; positively moving our Town forward should be.

My friends, I believe that we see what we are looking for.  If we are looking for evil and bad in people, the nature of human frailties will generally provide us with ample evidence to support our view.  Conversely, if we look for the good in people and expect it, we can generally find it.  When I first met with Richard, Mike and Conny, I committed myself to looking for the good in them.  Not surprisingly, I saw what I looked for.  There is good there.  We did not agree about everything, but I could see they did genuinely care about the Town and its future.  I honestly see the same in Satish, Joe, Lou and Mary.  I look for the good in them and I see it.  We should see this good manifested in the manner they work with the three incoming members of Council.  Equally, we should see good in the manner the three newly elected members of Council begin their terms and interact with their peers.

Soon we will seat what is thought to be a very divided Council.  We think it will be two years of 4-3 votes.  Both sides may be looking to see evil in the other; each group may want to prevail in a perceived vast power struggle.  Each group may want to work to push through their agenda, with only one seeming to have the majority.  We may be on the sidelines looking for the big fight.  Let us instead look for and expect good from our elected officials.  If our Town is to thrive, we should not look for, and therefore tacitly expect, the divisiveness.  We have to expect cooperation, professional decorum and a laser focus on what is right for the Town.  In fact, we should demand it.  It is not important, or even desirable, that they agree on all things.  Lock-step agreement does NOT move the Town forward.  Let’s hold seven peoples' feet to the fire with our expectations of them.  They all serve all of us as our elected officials.  Keep in mind that people rise and fall to our level of expectation.  By expecting the good and best from people not only are we more likely to see it, they are more likely to embody it.  The converse can also become a self-fulfilling prophecy.  

In the coming weeks, thanks to Richard, I will be posting on some specific topics.  I understand that many may not agree with my viewpoints, but let’s keep things positive.  We are on the cusp of bridging this divide and doing something special for our Town.  I see the blog as potentially a great venue for the positive exchange of ideas.
---

1 comment:

Vistoso Val said...

As a resident, stakeholder, homeowner, what I want is fairness and honesty. I do not think the 4 voted to consider us. "They raised taxes, tried to kill Coyote Run, gave away the library and what do you bet, the 600K saved will go to some sacred cow entity that does not benefit the average resident.

They lie about the excise tax. 2% on an average home is about 25 cents a day, not 7 cents, Stevie.

We all want to be told the truth, not lied to, not called names by our Councilman, not ignored when needs are assessed.