Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Let's Meet Our New Chief of Police, Kara Riley

A rare event this evening
Tonight, Oro Valley will witness a rare event: The appointment of a Chief of Police. The appointment of an Oro Valley police chief is like the appointment of a US Supreme Court justice. It rarely happens. The appointee serves for many years.

Wolfe and Sharp: twenty years a piece
Oro Valley Police Department has had two Chiefs in the past 40 years: They are: Werner Wolfe, who served from 1980 to 1999; and Daniel Sharp, who will have served from 2000 until his retirement later this month.

Twenty years for Riley? "I hope so"
The new chief is Kara Riley, a Commander in the Oro Valley Police Department . She is a 16 year veteran of service to our community. We asked Riley during our interview yesterday if she would want to be our police chief for the next 20 years. She was enthusiastic in her response: “I hope so!” If that happens, she will accumulate a total of 36 years of community service to Oro Valley. Wouldn't that be something!

A career in law enforcement discovered because of a traffic stop
"At 17, I got my drivers license. I got a ticket. I got stopped by a Tucson police officer."  According to Riley, it was a pleasant stop. "I wish I knew who it was because he took time to explain to me what law enforcement was about, all the while writing me my ticket. I asked the question: 'Could women go into law enforcement'?” Apparently, the Cop told her yes.

"That was my Ah-Hah moment. Your moment of saying: 'this was the path I was going to take.' "

Perhaps Riley was destined to be in Oro Valley 
Riley's career took her from Rincon High to Oro Valley. She earned a degree in Sociology from the University of Arizona and was embarking on a masters degree when she had the good fortune of being accepted into the Police Academy. One of her instructors was Daniel Sharp. Later, she would meet the Chief's wife, a Sergeant in the Tucson Police Department. Their paths would cross while Riley was on the police force of the Tucson Airport Authority.

Family matters most
“To know me, you have to know my family...My greatest accomplishment in life is being a mother. I had one shot at it." In 2001, "My husband at the time and I decided we would focus on raising my daughter.” Riley's daughter graduates from Ironwood Ridge this spring. Riley is also proud of her father, James Riley, and his accomplishments; and her two sisters and brother. All are UA "through and through."

We have much more to write regarding our discussion with our new Police Chief in upcoming LOVE postings. In the meantime, let's celebrate this victory for our community tonight in Council Chambers.