Thursday, May 3, 2018

Press Release: Statement from Joseph Winfield, Candidate for Mayor of Oro Valley

"Oro Valley, May 2 – My family and I announce my candidacy for Mayor of Oro Valley. On Thursday, May 3, at 8:30 a.m. in the Town Clerk’s office, I will file the necessary forms including the maximum number of valid signatures (689) to become an official candidate for Mayor in the 2018 Primary Election.

I thank all of the Circulators who helped gather signatures and especially the Oro Valley registered voters who signed my nomination petitions helping me qualify as a mayoral candidate.

It has been extremely gratifying to talk one-on-one with hundreds of Oro Valley residents to learn about your concerns and hopes for the future. If I am fortunate enough to be elected as your mayor, I will work diligently to preserve and enhance our quality of life with integrity, inclusiveness, and hard work.

Our family returned to Tucson in 1996 and chose to live in Oro Valley because of the Amphitheater School District’s reputation for excellent schools and teachers, stunning views of the Catalina Mountains, and close proximity and access to outdoor recreation.

I have a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture degree from the University of Arizona and have been employed by the National Park Service and Coronado National Forest for over 34 years. Early in my career I was fortunate enough to be introduced to community-based decision making. I highly value this collaborative approach and when employed properly, unleashes creative boldness and energy to achieve a community’s vision.

As wonderful as the Town of Oro Valley is, I believe “it’s time for a new direction.” What do I mean by a new direction? I believe we need to:

• Moderate growth and conform to land use and zoning designations that contribute to the feeling of a “small-town” and “neighborly feel."

• Break the pattern of “tax and spend” and reverse the explosive growth of town government.

• Employ sensible strategies to curb golf losses and move towards community amenities everyone can enjoy.

• Respect the “voice” of residents by being transparent, attentive, and inclusive.

• Preserve our natural, cultural and recreational inheritance for our enjoyment now and into the future.

• Respond to the recreation needs of children, adults and seniors of all abilities.

I welcome your thoughts about the new directions outlined above and other ideas you may have about how to help Oro Valley become the community we can all take pride in. Please go to joewinfieldmayor.com to volunteer, donate funds, and learn more about why you should vote for Joe Winfield on August 28."
---