Friday, December 8, 2017

The Zeeman: On The Light Side...

Like Clockwork
It's like "clockwork" in Oro Valley.  Every three months, without fail, the lights go out for about 2 hours. There are various reasons. A car knocks down a pole. A worker cuts a line, A power transformer blows. It is almost never weather related.

The reason doesn't really matter. It just happens. And it did at 10:11 pm las Saturday night.

What To Do When The Lights Go Out
The thing about a power outage is that you are not in control. There isn't anything you can do to fix the problem. However, being in control is always something I try to do. So here's what I do when lights go out. It's my "7-step" program!

Step 1: I looked out the window at 10:11 pm
Looking out the window is my attempt to determine if we are the only house without power. This "window peek" is a "natural" instinct. I do this despite the fact that I have never experienced a situation in which my house is the only house without power.

I learned from this peek what I have learned every other time I have peeked out. We were not the only ones without power. Our neighbors don't have power either. Somehow, this is rather comforting to me because that means that "we are all in the same boat." It also means that it is likely the TEP know we lost power (They do).

I also remembered from this peek what I have experienced every time we lose power. That is that the people who live north of the CDO wash do not lose power. There lights are on. They never seem to lose power when my house does. Why are they so blessed? Maybe I should get a really long extension cord and hook up to them. That could be a "back up!"

Step 2: Find a working flashlight
You would think that I would have a flashlight handy. But I don't. I never do. The flashlights are in the garage. But it's dark and I have to fumble in the dark to get to the flashlights.  I tell myself, every time this happens, to put the flashlight were I can get to them quickly. I forget to do that. So, that's not going to happen.

We have four flashlights. I was able to sufficiently cobble together enough batteries to make one work. I resolve right then and there: I am going to make sure that our flashlights have fresh batteries at all times. I know, of course, that's not going to happen either. But just saying it makes me feel in control.

Step 3: Light some candles
This step takes place at the same time as step 2. We're in luck here. We like candles. We have them around the house. We also have one of those huge lighter things that actually works. So, while, I'm out cobbling together a working flashlight, my wife is lighting candles. "Let there be light." And there is. This, by the way, is perhaps the only really useful step in the process.

Step 4: I report the outrage to TEP at 10:20 pm
The is by far the least useful step I take. But it does keep me in control. So it is emotionally comforting.

Did you know that TEP knows when a section of town loses power? The town is divided into power "grids". The power system tries to shift power from alternate sources to keep your lights on. When this does not work (which is some of the time) their system tells them: "Hey, those people in Oro Valley have no lights. Better check it out."

I know this but I can't resist the urge to report the power outage anyway. Fortunately, we have a phone that does not require TEP power. Its a smart phone. So I call the TEP emergency number: 623-7711.

Now I'm really in control. Or am I? Because now I have to work our way through a phone tree. Don't they know this is an emergency? Why isn't there someone waiting for my call?

No. There is no one. I do not reach a person. Instead, the phone tree eventually identifies my location and asks: "Did you hear a loud bang when the power went out?" I have never heard a loud bang when the power went out. I have always heard the the "sound of silence." So I say "no" to that.

The phone tree then asks us if I want TEP to call me back when the power is back on?  I have no idea why I would want them to do this.  After all, I will know when the power is back on. They don't need to tell me. I can figure that out on my own. But I say "yes" anyway.

Step 5: Wait
My wife and I have now done everything we can do. So, we settle in. My wife works on a puzzle. I settle into bed. No sense in not making good use of the darkness. So, I slowly fall asleep only to be awoken at 11:25pm because I have to...

Step 6: Walk around the house to turn out all the lights we had on before the power went out.
I can not believe how many lights were on when the power went out. This includes the outside landscape lights which never received the signal from the control box to turn off. I vow, right then and there, to be more careful of our power usage: To turn off  more lights. But, I know, deep down inside, that that isn't going to happen either.

Step 7: Delete the phone message from TEP that the power is back on
This is my final step. I check my phone messages in the morning. Yes. TEP did call back at 1:35 am. This is two hours after the power came back. They tell me: The power is back on. I am so relieved! I delete their message.

Those are my seven steps.

So, we ask and we have our comments open for you: What do you do when the lights go out?
---

1 comment:

Victorian Cowgirl said...

The first time the lights went out after dark and I saw how pitch black it was in my house (it was never this dark during a power failure back East), I was so afraid that I was going to trip over something trying to find my way to the flashlight that I made certain that this would never happen to me again.

Since then, I have kept a small flashlight right next to me every evening. I'm in the dining room, flashlight is on the dining room table; I'm watching TV, flashlight is on the coffee table; I'm in the home office, flashlight is on the desk, etc. Once I'm in my bathrobe for the evening, I place the flashlight in the pocket of my robe.

I'm like a boy scout...always prepared!